Camp Johnston (1)
Camp Johnston (1) (1852-1852) - A temporary U.S. Army Camp established in March 1852 in Tom Green County, Texas. Named for Captain Joseph E. Johnston, Chief Topographical Engineer of the Department of Texas (1848‑1853). Abandoned in October 1852. Also known as Camp Joseph E. Johnston.
Camp Johnston (1) History
A temporary camp established in March 1852 by five companies of the 8th U.S. Infantry, some 284 troops and their families. The camp was located on the south bank of the North Concho River near the present day town of Water Valley. The camp was abandoned 18 Nov 1852 and the troops were removed to Fort Chadbourne.
Exact site not known, near Water Valley, Tom Green County, Texas. Map point is not accurate.