Fort Chadbourne (1852-1868) - A U.S. Army post established in 1852, by Captain John Beardsley (Cullum 1094), 8th U.S. Infantry. It was named for 2nd Lt. Theodore Lincoln Chadbourne, 8th U.S. Infantry, West Point Class of 1843 (Cullum 1181), who was killed 9 May 1846 at the battle of Resaca de la Palma in the Mexican War. Abandoned in 1868.
Fort Chadbourne History
A U.S. Army post established 28 Oct 1852, by Captain John Beardsley and companies A and K of the 8th U.S. Infantry. Intended to protect a part of the trail to Santa Fe. Built on the Butterfield Overland Mail route, it was originally called Camp on Oak Creek. It was surrendered to Confederate Col. Henry E. McCulloch on 23 Mar 1861. Fort Chadbourne was occupied briefly by United States troops after the U.S. Civil War on 25 May 1867 but lack of water forced its abandonment in 1868 and the troops were transferred to Fort Concho.
Stabilization of the site is underway and several buildings have been restored. The site owners have donated the Fort Chadbourne site to the newly formed Fort Chadbourne Foundation. Fort Chadbourne is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is open to the public. A new Visitor Center is under construction.
Visited: 29 Apr 2015, 16 Nov 2011