Camp Hopkins (1863) - A Union U.S. Civil War Camp established in 1863 near Hedgesville, Berkeley County, West Virginia. Named Camp Hopkins after Lt. James W. Hopkins who was killed at Martinsburg. Abandoned in 1863.
History of Camp Hopkins
Established on 6 Mar 1863 by Colonel Edward James and the 106th New York Volunteer Infantry as a Union camp protecting the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad just north of the North Mountain Depot.
The camp was built at the top of a steep hill with rows of conical Sibly tents arranged in company streets aligned in line-of-battle order.
The command abandoned the camp on 13 June 1863 and departed to pursue General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia.
Marker and some indentations remain from the campsite.
Visited: 1 Jun 2016