Camp Dodge (1)
Camp Dodge (1) (1898-1898) - Established in 1898 as a muster post to enlist U.S. Volunteers during the Spanish-American War. Located in Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas. Named after Dr. Roderick Dodge who had owned the property. Abandoned in 1898.
Camp Dodge (1) History
On the day war was declared with Spain in 1898, the Governor of Arkansas was asked to provide two regiments of National Guard troops. Arkansas did not have enough fully trained National Guard companies to fulfill the request so a general call for volunteers was issued and the volunteers reported to a newly created Camp Dodge. Two regiments of about 1,000 soldiers each were mustered in at Camp Dodge in May 1898 and both regiments were sent to Camp George H. Thomas at Chickamauga Park, Georgia, for basic training. Camp Dodge was closed after the troops left.
Location identified as at 17th St. and College St. in Little Rock.
Private Property, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas
Visited: 28 Oct 2011