Camp George H. Thomas
Camp George H. Thomas (1898-1898) - A Spanish American War 1st Corps organization and training Camp first established in 1898 at Chattanooga National Military Park, Chickamauga, Walker County, Georgia. Named Camp Ceorge H. Thomas on 23 Apr 1898 after Major General George H. Thomas, (Cullum 1028), U.S. Civil War General known as the "Rock of Chickamauga" who fought at this location. Abandoned in 1898. Also known as Camp Chickamauga.
History of Camp George H. Thomas
Established 14 Apr 1898 by the 25th U.S. Infantry as a Spanish American War 1st Corps organization and training camp. Included Camp Alger (1), Camp Boynton, Camp Leiter Army General Hospital and Sternberg Army General Hospital. First occupied by regular troops from the 7th U.S. Cavalry who gathered in preparation for shipment overseas. Additional regular troops arrived bringing the total of regulars to some 7.300 men. By 14 May 1898 the regular troops had shipped out and volunteer units began to arrive. Some 45,000 volunteers were at the camp by the end of May 1898.
Abandoned October 1898.
Part of Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Chickamauga, Walker County, Georgia.
Visited: 28 Apr 2016