|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Cady (1860-1871) - A U.S. Army Camp first established by Major James H. Carleton, and Company K, 1st U.S. Dragoons in 1860 near Barstow, San Bernardino County, California. Named Camp Cady after Major Albemarle Cady (Cullum 564), 6th U. S. Infantry commander at Fort Yuma. Abandoned in 1871.
History of Camp Cady
Established 14 Apr 1860 by Major James H. Carleton, and Company K, 1st U.S. Dragoons as a temporary camp that was later replaced with more permanent structures. The post had a 300 foot square parade with buildings on three sides. The buildings were built with adobe and had shingles roofs.
The Camp was abandoned on 24 Apr 1871 by 2nd Lt. James Halloran, 12th U.S. Infantry, and all public property was removed to Camp Mojave. The post buildings were left in the care of Mr. T. J. Cautwell, citizen.
Ruins and a marker east of Barstow in San Bernardino County, California.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Camp Cady Type: Historical Class: Locale ID: 240074
- Location: San Bernardino County, California, US, FIPS Code: 06071
- Latitude: 34.9460962, Longitude: -116.589473, Elevation: 1690 Map: Manix
- As Of: 19 Jan 1981
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Near Barstow, San Bernardino, California.
Maps & Images
Lat: 34.945473 Long: -116.5997887
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 64
- North American Forts - Camp Cady
- California Military Museum - Camp Cady
- Waymarking - Fort Cady Marker
Camp Cady Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!