Call's Fort

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Call's Fort (1855-18??) - A Mormon settler Fort established during the Walker Indian War in 1855 near Brigham City, Box Elder County, Utah. Probably abandoned as a fortification after the end of the Ute Black Hawk War (1865-1872).


Call's Fort Monument.

History

First established as Harper in 1852 just north of Brigham City. In 1854, Anson Call of Bountiful joined the settlement and established a large farm with a home and blacksmith shop. At the request of Brigham Young and with help from his neighbors, they enclosed the buildings with a wall 8 feet high and 3 feet thick as a Fort and refuge from hostile Indians during the Walker Indian War. The fort enclosed a tract of land 120 feet square and was the most northerly outpost in Utah.

Probably abandoned as a fortification after the end of the Ute Black Hawk War (1865-1872).

Current Status

Call's Fort Marker Text.

Monument and marker north of Brigham City, Box Elder County, Utah.


Location: 5320 N Hwy. 69 Honeyville , Box Elder County, Utah.

Maps & Images

Lat: 41.60631 Long: -112.05880

See Also:

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, 784.
  • Lund, Anthon Henrik, ed, The Utah Genealogical and Historical Magazine, Volumes 10-12, page 183

Links:


Visited: 15 Oct 2018


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Toolbox