Battery Walker

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Battery Walker (1898-1918) - Battery Walker was built at Fort Stevens (1) between Sep 1896 and Apr 1898 and was transferred for service 3 Apr 1898 at a cost of $302,014 (included Battery Lewis and Battery Mishler). Originally one of three sets of emplacements called Battery Lewis, Battery Walker was separately named in S.O. 15, 28 Jan 1909 for Colonel. Leverett H. Walker (Cullum 2385) former commander of Fort Stevens who died 29 Oct 1907. The battery was deactivated in 1918.

Battery Walker
Battery Walker from West Battery Control Station

Endicott Period (1890-1910)

Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia.

A concrete Endicott Period battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 10" M1888MII rifles on M1894 disappearing carriages. It was originally a part of Battery Lewis until 1909 when it was separately named.

This is a two story battery with the lower level containing a shot room, a powder room, shot chambers and tool rooms for each emplacement. In 1905, two Taylor-Raymond electric motor driven, back delivery, shell hoists were installed, one for each emplacement. The battery seems to have been modified for the newer long point shells.

In 1911, a two story BC station was built at the back of the battery that contained an observing room at the top and a plotting room below, each 15' x 15', at a cost of $ 3,448.18.

Battery Walker Armament (edit list)
Model Serial
Manufacturer Carriage Service
1 10" Rifle 367.25" M1888MII 52 Watervliet Disappearing Carriage L.F.,
M1894, #4c, Kilby
1897-1918 See note 1
2 10" Rifle 367.25" M1888MII 48 Watervliet Disappearing Carriage L.F.,
M1894, #5, Kilby
1897-1918 See note 1
Source: Form 1, 30 Jun 1921, RCB, 22 Sep 1903, 31 Dec 1910, 31 Dec 1915, Coast Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, page 122-123, 216.
Note 1: Guns transferred to Watervliet 18 Jun 1918, carriages scrapped 26 May 1920, CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Battery Walker Plan

World War I (1917-1918)

On 29 May 1918 the removal of the two 10" guns at Battery Walker for service abroad was ordered. The guns were removed 18 Jun 1918, shipped to the Watervliet Arsenal and never replaced. The carriages remained until they were scrapped 26 May 1920.

Current Status

Fair condition and open to the public. No guns or carriages in place.

Location: On Fort Stevens, Oregon

Maps & Images

Lat: 46.207116 Long: -123.969217



Visited: 18 May 2008, 2 Feb 2008

Battery Walker Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

Personal tools

Google AdSense