Battery Stanton (1901-1932) - Battery Stanton was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Gaines (1), Alabama. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 15 May 1903, after Capt. Henry W. Stanton, 1st U.S. Dragoons, who was killed 19 Jan 1855 in action with Apache Indians in the Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico. Battery construction on the two original emplacements started in 1899, was completed in 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 20 May 1901 at a cost of $ 67,250.00. Construction began on a third emplacement in 1903, was completed in 1904 and transferred for service 31 May 1904 at a cost of $ 24,134.89. Total cost of the battery was $ 91,384.89. Deactivated in 1932.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Mobile, Alabama.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1897MI guns mounted on M1898 disappearing carriages. One additional gun emplacement with one M1903MI gun and a M1903 disappearing carriage was added for service on 31 May 1904. The addition of the third emplacement cause the emplacements to be renumbered and the new emplacement became #1 and the original emplacements became #2 and #3. This was a two story battery with the guns mounted on the second level and the magazines on the first level. The battery was built with a 20KW steam driven electric plant. Hodges back delivery shell hoists were accepted for service 31 May 1904. These hoists were installed on the original two gun emplacements but not the new third emplacement. There were no powder hoists.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The M1903 gun in emplacement #1 was transferred 20 Nov 1917 to Watervliet Arsenal in preparation for shipment overseas. This gun was actually transferred to France 31 Jul 1918 and was returned 23 Jun 1919 to Aberdeen. It was not returned to Battery Stanton and the battery remained a two gun battery.
The power plant was updated 29 Jul 1921 with a gasoline powered 25KW motor generator set and the original steam set was transferred to Rivers & Harbors 19 Apr 1923. A concrete C.R.F. station was installed and accepted on 29 Jul 1921.
The two M1898 disappearing carriages were ordered salvaged on 15 Jan 1932 and the two remaining M1897MI gun tubes were transferred to Augusta on 13 Apr 1932.
Fort Gaines Historical Site maintained by the Dauphin Island Park and Beach Board. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 23 Dec 2011
Battery Stanton Picture Gallery