Battery Richardson (1904-1943) - Battery Israel Richardson was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Hancock (2), New Jersey. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after MG Israel B. Richardson (Cullum 1084), who died 3 Nov 1862, of wounds received in action at Antietam, Maryland, 17 Sep 1862. The two gun emplacements of his battery were part of the nine gun emplacements of the main gun line built at Fort Hancock (2) and originally called Battery Halleck. The main gun line was later divided into four named batteries by G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904 (Battery Halleck, Battery Alexander (2), Battery Bloomfield and Battery Richardson). Battery construction started in 1902, was completed in 1904 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 23 Apr 1904 at a cost of $ 100,000.00. Deactivated in 1943.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Southern New York.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 12" M1895MI guns mounted on M1901 disappearing carriages. This was a two story battery with the guns on the upper level and a separate magazine for each emplacement on the lower level. Shell hoists moved the projectiles from the lower level to the gun loading platform. The battery was originally furnished with Hodges back delivery projectile hoists. The Hodges hoists were later changed out for back delivery Taylor-Raymond projectile hoists that were accepted for service on 20 Sep 1917 and 3 Apr 1918.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere.
The guns and carriages were found to be obsolete and ordered salvaged 23 Oct 1943.
Part of the Gateway National Recreation Area, Fort Hancock Unit. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 14 Aug 2010