Battery Reilly (1899-1917) - Battery Reilly was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 10‑inch coastal gun battery on Fort Adams (1), Newport County, Rhode Island. The battery was named in G.O. 30, 19 Mar 1902, after Capt. Henry J. Reilly, 5th U.S. Artillery, who served at Fort Adams, Rhode Island, from 4 Jul 1870 to 27 Apr 1875, and who was killed at Pekin, China, on 15 Aug 1900. Battery construction started in April 1898, was completed in September 1899 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 15 Jun 1899 at a cost of $ 92,617.57. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 10" M1888MII guns mounted on M1896 Disappearing carriages. This was a two story battery with the guns on the upper level and the magazines on the lower level. Two Taylor-Raymond front deliver shell hoists moved the shells from the magazine level to the gun loading platform. No powder hoists were provided. Electrical power was furnished from the power plant in Battery Edgerton.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The two 10" gun tubes of Battery Reilly were ordered dismounted for use abroad on 24 Aug 1917. On 26 Feb 1918 both gun tubes were reported on the dock awaiting shipment. On 31 Mar 1919 both gun tubes were officially transferred to Fort Warren (2). One of the carriages was scrapped on 26 May 1920 and the other was stored until 22 Sep 1931 when it was ordered scrapped. Battery Reilly was not rearmed.
Part of Fort Adams State Park. No period guns or mounts in place.