Battery Parker (1907-1917) - Battery Thomas Parker is a concrete Endicott Period Coastal Battery located on Fort Casey (1), Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington . Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Bvt. 1st Lt. Thomas D. Parker, U.S. Army, 2nd Lt., 2nd U.S. Infantry, who was killed in action at Gaines Mill, Virginia, 27 Jun 1862, during the U.S. Civil War. The Battery was begun in August 1903 and completed in August 1905 and transferred to the Coast Artillery on 22 May 1907 at a cost of $50,380. The guns were removed from the Battery in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound. Battery Parker was designed to protect both the Straight of Juan De Fuca and the Admiralty Inlet to Puget Sound.
Originally built with two, 6" M1905 rifles mounted on M1903 disappearing carriages. This was a two-story battery with the guns located on the upper level and the magazines and service rooms on the lower level. On the lower level, a common shell room and a common powder room serve both gun positions. Electrical power was provided from either the plant at Battery Seymour & Schenck, the central power plant, or commercial power. No shell or powder hoists were provided.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The two 6" guns at Battery Parker were listed for service overseas on 27 Aug 1917 and by 18 Jul 1918, they had been transferred. The guns were actually transferred on 31 Dec 1917 to Watervliet Arsenal but never actually made it overseas because the war drew to a close before they could be modified and shipped. These guns remained in the inventory until after World War II but were never remounted.
The battery was clean and dry when visited. No guns or carriages were in place.
Visited: 14 Apr 2010, 18 Jul 2008