Battery Miller

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Battery Miller (1907-1918) - Battery Miller was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 10" inch gun battery on Fort Winfield Scott (2), San Francisco County, California. The three gun emplacements that make up Battery Miller were originally part of Battery Cranston. The battery was named 11 Oct 1907 for Brig. Gen. Marcus Miller (Cullum 1805), a U.S. Civil War veteran and former Commanding Officer of the Presidio of San Francisco who died 29 Dec 1906. Battery construction started in 1891, was completed in 1898 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 14 Apr 1898 at a cost of $ 299,861.53. The cost was the combined cost of Battery Miller and Battery Godfrey. Deactivated 1 Jul 1918 when the guns were removed.

Battery Miller Gun Emplacement #2
Battery Miller BC Station
Battery Miller Emplacement #1

Endicott Period (1890-1910)

Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.

Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with three 10" M1888 guns mounted on M1894 carriages that were a part of Battery Cranston until 1907 when they became Battery Miller. Emplacements 3, 4 and 5 of Battery Cranston became emplacements 1, 2 and 3 of Battery Miller. In 1911 a plotting room and a BC Station were built at the rear traverse between emplacements #1 & #2.

Battery Miller Armament (edit list)
Empl
No
Caliber
Type
Barrel
Length
Model Serial
No
Manufacturer Carriage Service
Dates
Notes
1 10" Rifle 340" M1888 18 Watervliet Disappearing, M1894, #27, Watertown 1907-1918 See note 1
2 10" Rifle 340" M1888 15 Watervliet Disappearing, M1894, #24, Cramp 1907-1918 See note 1
3 10" Rifle 340" M1888 5 Watervliet Disappearing, M1894, #34, watertown 1907-1918 See note 1
Source: RCW Form 1, 1 Mar 1920 & 1 Sep 1923, [[[CDSG]], Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 122-123, 215
Note 1: Guns transferred to Watervliet 1 Jul 1918, carriages ordered scrapped 26 May 1920. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Battery Miller Plan


World War I (1917-1918)

All three rifles were removed for overseas service 1 Jul 1918 and shipped to Watervliet Arsenal for A1 modification. The war was over before they could be shipped overseas and they remained at the Arsenal until 28 Jul 1942 when they were all salvaged . The carriages remained in-place until 26 may 1920 when were ordered scrapped.

Current Status

Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. No guns or mounts in place.


Location: Fort Winfield Scott, San Francisco County, California

Maps & Images

Lat: 37.805833 Long: -122.476667

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 22 Aug 2009

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox