Battery Many (1905-1928) - Battery Many was a concrete Endicott Period 3" gun battery located on Fort Washington (1), Maryland. The Battery was named 24 Dec 1904 for Col. James B. Many, 3rd U.S. Infantry, who served in the War of 1812. Battery construction was completed and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 19 May 1905 at a total cost of $25,904.00. Deactivated in 1928.
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Potomac.
Battery Many was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 3" gun battery with two M1902 MI guns on M1902 Pedestal mounts. The battery consisted of two gun mounts 62' apart separated by the main battery structure with a separate shell room for each gun emplacement and a common cartridge room. It was 10' from the level where the munitions were stored to the gun level with three flights of narrow stairs to climb.
The carriages were sent to Fort Washington (1) on 11 Mar 1905 from the Bethlehem Steel Company and the guns were mounted in April 1905. The Battery was deactivated in 1928 and the guns and mounts were removed on 27 Aug 1929 and shipped to Aberdeen Ordnance Depot.
On Fort Washington National Park. No period guns or carriages are in place. Just prior to our visit in 2009 the CDSG conducted a volunteer cleanup of this battery and it looked great when we arrived. See the photos below.