Battery Lobos (1942-1945) - Battery Lobos was a reinforced concrete, World War II 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Miley, San Francisco County, California. Battery construction started 2 Jul 1942, was completed 19 Aug 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 1 Jun 1943 at a cost of $ 14,416.39. Deactivated in 1945.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" MKVIII Navy guns mounted on MKM10 Navy pedestal carriages. This was a single story battery with the guns located on concrete pads and the magazines in separate buildings.
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. No period guns or mounts in place. Gun pad # 1 is partially exposed below the USS San Francisco Memorial. Gun Pad #2 is covered with sand and vegetation.
Visited: 23 Aug 2009