Battery Ledyard (1900-1915) - Battery Ledyard was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 5 inch rapid fire coastal gun battery on Fort McDowell (1), Angel Island, San Francisco County, California. The battery was named in S.O. 16, 14 Feb 1902 after 1st Lt. August C. Ledyard, 6th U.S. Infantry, who was killed in action on the Island of Negros, Philippine Islands, on 8 Dec 1899. Battery construction started and was completed in 1900. The battery was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 1 Aug 1900 at a cost of $ 20,044.58. Deactivated in 1915 when the guns and carriages were removed.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 5" M1900 rapid fire guns mounted on M1903 Barbette Pedestal carriages. The Battery itself was completed in 1900 but the 31 Dec 1903 RCB report indicates that neither the guns or carriages were mounted at the end of 1903. The carriage cards show that the M1903 carriages were not sent to Fort McDowell until 4 Aug 1905 and it is assumed that the Battery was armed shortly after their arrival.
Part of the Angel Island California State Park. No gun or mounts in place.
Visited: 29 Aug 2009