Battery Kelly (1900-1917) - Battery Kelly was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 5 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Terry, Plum Island, Suffolk County, New York. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 25 May 1903, after Capt. Patrick Kelly, 16th U.S. Infantry, Col. 88th New York Volunteer Infantry, who was killed 16 Jun 1864, at the battle of Petersburg, Virginia, during the U.S. Civil War. Battery construction started 1 Jul 1898, was completed in 1901. Emplacement #1 was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 31 March 1900 at a cost of $ 9,000.00. Emplacement #2 was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 4 March 1901 at a cost of $ 5,500.00. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 5" M1900 guns mounted on M1903 Pedestal Mount carriages. This was two independent emplacements, each with a gun on the upper level and a magazine on the lower level. Shells were moved from the magazine level to the gun loading platform by hand, no projectile or powder hoists were provided. Electrical power for lighting was furnished by the emplacement power plant in Battery Stoneman.
There is some documentation (RCB, 31 Dec 1903) that indicates a 4.72" M1899 Armstrong gun and carriage was initially mounted in one of the emplacements before the M1903 carriages were available in 1906. Both M1903 carriages were transferred to Battery Kelly on 14 feb 1906 and it is assumed that the two M1900 guns were mounted about that time.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. On 18 Jul 1918 the guns of Battery Kelly were listed as transferred to service abroad. That was followed by an order to remount and retain the guns. On 22 Jul 1919 the approval to scrap the guns was issued. The guns were not scrapped and eventually made their way to Fort H.G. Wright. The carriages were ordered scrapped 26 May 1920.
Now on Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) operated by U.S. DHS. No period guns or mounts in place.