Battery Inman (1906-1945) - Battery Inman was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 3 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Taylor (2), Monroe County, Florida. The battery was named in G.O. 20, 25 Jan 1906, for Captain Shadrach Inman, Georgia Militia, Revolutionary War, who was killed in action at Musgrove's Mill, South Carolina, 18 Aug 1780. Battery construction started Feb 1904, was completed Dec 1904 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 26 Apr 1906 at a cost of $ 14,300.00. Deactivated in 1945.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Key West.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 pedestal mounts. Battery Inman was a two story battery with the guns mounted on the upper level and two magazines located on the lower level. The Battery was built into an existing, unfinished, U.S. Civil War fortification known as the West Martello Tower in Key West. No powder or shell hoists were required because the 3" ammunition was light enough to be hand carried. The Battery was not wired for electricity but electric power for incidental lighting was provided by commercial sources.
The pedestal mounts for Battery Inman were transferred to Fort Taylor (2) 2 Jun 1909 but the M1903 guns were not mounted until 16 Oct 1917 and not test fired until 14 Dec 1917. In 1921 the battery platforms were widened and hand rails added at a cost of $300.00. In 1922 a 9 foot C.R.F. was built behind Battery Inman at a cost of $ 2,900.00, it was accepted for service 11 Aug 1922.
Battery Inman remained active through most of World War II but the guns and carriages were declared obsolete in 1945 and processed for salvage 14 May 1945
Currently a part of the Joe Allen Garden Center operated by the Key West Garden Center. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 30 Dec 2009
Battery Inman Picture Gallery