Battery Harker (1)
Battery Harker (1) (1899-1941) - Battery Harker was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 10‑inch coastal gun battery on Fort Mott, New Jersey. The battery was named in G.O. 105, 9 Oct 1902, after BG Charles G. Harker (Cullum 1813), U.S. Volunteers, who served with distinction during the U.S. Civil War and who was killed 27 Jun 1864, at the battle of Kennesaw Mountain. Battery construction started on 5 Mar 1896, was completed on 16 Jun 1898 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use on 6 Jan 1899 at a cost of $ 268,351.93 (cost for both Battery Harker and Battery Arnold). Deactivated in 1941.
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Delaware.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 10" M1888 guns and one 10" M1888MI gun, all mounted on M1894MI disappearing carriages. The three gun emplacements of this battery were built together with the three 12" gun emplacements of Battery Arnold as one large battery. They were administratively separated by G.O. 105, 9 Oct 1902 which gave them individual names. The three 10" guns were reported as mounted on 18 Dec 1896.
Battery Harker was a two story battery with the guns on the upper level and a magazine for each gun on the lower level. Three Taylor-Raymond back delivery projectile hoists moved the shells from the magazine level to the gun loading platform. The shell hoists were transferred for use on 5 feb 1906. No powder hoists installed. Electric power for the battery was furnished by the power plant in Battery Arnold.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The three gun tubes from Battery Harker were ordered dismounted for use abroad 24 Aug 1917. On 1 Jul 1918 the gun tubes were reported as having been dismounted in August, 1917 and placed on the wharf for shipment. Later in 1918 the gun tubes were ordered to be remounted and retained.
On 2 Apr 1941 the guns and carriages were transferred to Canada as a part of the Lend-Lease program.
Part of Fort Mott State Park. No period guns or mounts in place. Gun emplacement #3 has a recreated powder room, shell room and shell hoist.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 6 Aug 2010