Battery Gates (1908-1942) - Battery Gates was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Wool (1), Virginia. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after MG Horatio Gates, first adjutant general of the Continental Army, who received the thanks of Congress for his services during the Revolutionary War, and who died 10 Apr 1806. Battery construction started 10 Dec 1903, was completed in August 1908 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 18 Aug 1908. at a cost of $ 55,000.00. Deactivated in 1942.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 disappearing carriages. Battery Gates was a two story battery with the guns on the upper level and a common shell and magazine room on the lower level. Electrical power was furnished by a power room located in the traverse between Battery Claiborne and Battery Dyer. No powder or shell hoists were provided.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The guns tubes (#1 and #3) of Battery Gates were ordered dismounted for use abroad on 24 Aug 1917 and were transferred to Watervliet on 27 Nov 1917. These gun tubes eventually made their way to France and they were returned to the U.S. after the war. Battery Gates was rearmed with gun tubes (#23 and #24) from Battery Claiborne in 1918.
Battery Gates was selected as the site for Battery 229 a World War II 200 series rapid fire gun battery. The original Battery Gates was deactivated in 1942 and construction on the new Battery 229 began in March 1943. The old carriages were ordered salvaged on 20 Apr 1943 and the old gun tubes (#23 and #24) were transferred to Watervliet 8 May 1943.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 23 Jun 2010