Battery Gardiner (1900-1913) - Battery Gardiner was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 4.72 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Taylor (2), Monroe County, Florida. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 15 May 1903, after Captain George W. Gardiner (Cullum 91), 2nd U.S. Artillery, who was killed 28 Dec 1835, in action with the Seminole Indians at Withlacoochee River, Florida. Battery construction started Jun 1898, was completed Jan 1899 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 12 Feb 1900 at a cost of $ 18,000.00. Deactivated in 1913.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Key West.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 4.72" Armstrong guns mounted on Armstrong carriages. This was a two story battery with the guns mounted on the top level and two magazines below. No powder or shell hoists were installed. Electric power was furnished from the power plant in Battery De Leon.The guns and carriages were dismounted and shipped to Hawaiian Islands, Jul 1913, and the battery abandoned.
Battery was destroyed in 1962. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: Area 2 Jan 2010