Battery Freeman (1902-1920) - Battery Freeman was built at Fort Stevens (1) between Jul 1900 and Dec 1901 and was transferred for service 12 Nov 1900 at a total cost of $39,936.42. The battery was named on 27 Dec 1904 for Bvt. Colonel. Constant Freeman, Corps of Artillery, who served in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia.
A concrete Endicott Period battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 6" M1900 guns in M1900 Barbette carriages and one 3" M1898MI gun in a M1898 Masking Parapet mount. The two, 6" guns were mounted in a concrete emplacement on the left side of the interior of the earthworks fort and the single 3" gun was mounted in a concrete emplacement on the right side.
The 6" carriages were not available until Dec 1905 and the guns were mounted after the carriages were installed. The 6" guns were removed in 1917 and sent to Willapa Bay on the North Coast of Cape Disappointment, Washington. The 3" gun was mounted in 1903 and remained in place until 1920.
No traces remain, destroyed in 1941 to make way for a parade ground.
Visited: 18 May 2008
Battery Freeman Picture Gallery