Battery Carroll G. Riggs
Battery Carroll G. Riggs (1942-1948) - Battery Carroll G. Riggs was a reinforced concrete, World War II 8 inch coastal gun battery on Opaeula Military Reservation, Honolulu County, Hawaii. This battery was constructed using a U.S. Navy twin gun turret removed from the aircraft carrier USS Lexington. Originally known as Battery Opaeula and renamed in G.O. 96, 27 Aug 1946, after Colonel Carroll G. Riggs, CAC, who was killed in the crash of a B-24 bomber in Australia 18 Dec 1943. Battery construction started May 1942, was mostly completed by August 1942 . Deactivated in 1945. Also known as Battery Riggs.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Kaneohe Bay.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with four 8" Mark IX M2 Navy guns mounted in two turrets removed from the aircraft carrier USS Lexington. The battery mounted two turrets each with two guns. Both guns in a turret traversed and elevated together.
All four guns of the battery were proof fired 6 Aug 1942. The proof firing included three reduced charge rounds and three full service rounds.
Structures at the battery included the two turrets, each supported by a connected underground powder and projectile magazine. Two underground plotting rooms were built, one for the battery and one planned as a Command post and a fire control switchboard for the Lexington Gun Group (Battery Brodie and Battery Opaeula). Unlike Battery Brodie, a separate building was built to house the SCR-296A fire control radar equipment. A fire contol station was built on a steel tower behind the turrets.
Further back from the rear of the turrets was the underground generator building and the troop barracks and support buildings.
The battery was taken out of service 26 Dec 1944 and held in caretaker status until it was deactivated 2 Apr 1945. The guns and carriages were processed for salvage in 1948.
Some remains on private property, no period guns or mounts in place.