Battery Armistead (2)
Battery Armistead (2) (1942-1943) - Battery Armistead (2) was a reinforced concrete, World War II 3 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Varnum, Washington County, Rhode Island. The battery was originally located on Fort Kearny (3) and named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Capt. Lewis G.A. Armistead, who was killed in action at Fort Erie, Upper Canada, September 1814, during the War of 1812. The new battery construction started 18 Apr 1942, was completed 15 Jul 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 29 Aug 1942 at a cost of $ 22,185.00. The guns and carriages were transferred from the old battery to the new battery in 1942. Deactivated in 1943.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 Barbette carriages. The guns and carriages were transferred from Fort Kearny (3), Battery Armistead (1) in 1942. Apparently the guns did not arrive in serviceable condition because the commander requested that they be scrapped. That request was denied and the guns and carriages were placed in storage at the beginning of 1943.
A separate magazine and B.C./C.R.F. station was built about 300' southwest of the gun emplacements and accepted for service in August 1942 at a cost of $2,440.00.
Construction began on Battery AMTB 921 right in front of Battery Armistead on 1 Apr 1943 and was completed on 22 Jul 1943. Battery Armistead was probably deactivated at some point during the construction of, or at the completion of Battery AMTB 921. The guns and carriages were authorized to be stored on 25 Feb 1943.
No period guns or mounts in place. The magazine and concrete gun platforms remain.