Battery AMTB 943
Battery AMTB 943 (1943-1946) - Battery AMTB 943 was a reinforced concrete World War II AMTB rapid fire 90mm gun battery on Fort Standish (1), Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Battery construction started in 29 Mar 1943, was completed 19 May 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 10 Sep 1943 at a cost of $ 8,851.67. Deactivated in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.
The AMTB battery at Lovell's Island consisted of two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M3 fixed gun mounts and two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M1A1 mobile gun mounts. Concrete pads were provided for both fixed guns and often wooden gun platforms were provided for the mobile guns. Two earth covered concrete magazines provided protection for the ammunition. Electric power was provided by Hull Electric Light Company and two backup M-7 portable generators in small generator sheds. A BC station was provided in back of Battery Terrill.
The battery had a dual mission of defense against fast enemy motor torpedo boats and enemy aircraft. The effective range of the guns was about 8,000 yards or 4.5 miles. Each weapon required a crew of 15, 9 men in the gun squad and 6 men in the ammunition squad.
No period gun or mounts in place.