Battery 519 (1944-1948) - Battery 519 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 12 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Miles, Delaware. Battery construction started on 15 Nov 1942, was completed on 31 Aug 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 15 feb 1944 at a cost of $ 857,000.00. Deactivated in 1948.
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Delaware.
Originally built as a World War II casemated concrete coastal gun battery with two 12" M1895M1 guns mounted on M1917 Barbette carriages. This battery was constructed in place of the 16" Battery 119 after that battery was cancelled in late 1942. The guns and carriages were formally transferred from Fort Saulsbury, Battery Haslet in July 1944 and that battery was closed. There are indications that the guns and mounts were physically moved and mounted in 1943 (RCW 1 May 1944) and that they were upgraded to 440 volt AC power equipment and power rammers by 1946. In 1948 the battery was declared surplus and the guns were sold as scrap.
Gun emplacement #1 has a 12" gun and carriage in place (not original), gun emplacement #2 is empty. This battery is slated to become one of largest coast artillery museums in the country.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 3 Aug 2010