Battery 218 (1944-1958) - Battery 218 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Wadsworth (1), Richmond County, New York. Battery construction started 22 Oct 1942, was completed 24 Apr 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 22 Apr 1944 at a cost of $ 203,277.00. Deactivated in 1958.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Southern New York.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery for two 6" rapid fire guns mounted on Shielded Barbette Carriages (SBC) placed on either side of an earth covered reinforced concrete support structure. Never armed.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 15 Aug 2010