Battery 155 - Quintana
Battery 155 - Quintana (1943-1944) - Battery 155 - Quintana was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Freeport Military Reservation, Brazoria County, Texas. Battery construction started 9 Nov 1942, was completed 14 Feb 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use at a cost of $ 19,060 Deactivated on 1 Jan 1944.
Part of the Temporary Harbor Defense of Freeport, Texas.
The 155mm gun battery replaced a temporary 105mm howitzer field artillery battery on 4 Feb 1942.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 Mobile Carriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts. The two Panama mounts were placed on 35' mounds that were stabilized with gunite. Ramps were provided to allow positioning of the guns on the Panama mounts. Emplacement #1 was initially built as a 180 degree mount and modified by the Corps of Engineers to be a 360 degree mount. Five timber magazines were built along with a combined BC Station/plotting room, two base end stations. Four searchlight platforms were added in 1943.
The Temporary Harbor Defense of Freeport was deactivated on 1 Jan 1944 and on 5 Jan 1944 the troops and guns were removed.
Part of Quintana Beach County Park. Two 360 degree Panama mounts are visible, Panama mount #1 is restored and has an 8" howitzer emplaced, Panama mount #2 is visible but not restored. Park rangers warn visitors not to visit emplacement #2 because of the presence of large diamond back rattle snakes in the area.
Visited: 15 Dec 2011