Battery 118 (1943-1948) - Battery 118 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Miles, Delaware. Named Battery Smith (3) for MG William R. Smith, US Army. Battery construction started on 24 March 1941, was completed on 31 Oct 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use on 21 Dec 1943 at a cost of $ 1,326,000.00. Deactivated in 1948.
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Delaware.
Originally built as casemated World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" MarkII-M1 guns mounted on M4 Barbette carriages.
Battery 118 Armament (edit list)
||Barbette, M4, #24, Watertown
||See note 1
||Barbette, M4, #23, Watertown
||See note 2
|Source: RCW Form 1, 1 May 1944, Coast Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 176-177, 208|
Note 1: Gun transferred from Watervliet 13 Jun 1942, carriage transferred from Watertown 19 Sep 1942
Note 2: Gun transferred from Watervliet 14 Jun 1942, carriage transferred from Watertown 18 Aug 1942
No period guns or mounts in place. Currently used by the maintenance department of Cape Henlopen State Park and for museum artifact storage. Emplacement #2 was modified as the base theater including bricking up the front of the casemate.
Recent Blog Posts:
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of The Delaware, (HDDEL-AN-45), 1 Jul 1945, CDSG
Visited: 3 Aug 2010
Battery 118 Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!
Fort Miles, Battery Smith Gun Emplacement #1 Rear Entrance
Fort Miles, Battery Smith Center Rear Entrance