Battery 113 (1944-1948) - Battery 113 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery on Camp Hero, Montauk Point, Suffolk County, New York. Named Battery Dunn in G.O. 46, 17 Sep 1942, after Colonel John M. Dunn, USA. Battery construction started 23 Mar 1942, was completed on 5 Jun 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 12 Jan 1944 at a cost of $ 1,369,528.61. Deactivated in 1948.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as a World War II reinforced concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" MarkII-M1 guns mounted on M4 carriages. This was a single level 16" gun battery with both guns casemated and separated by a central magazine and support facility. Shells were moved from the magazine to the gun loading platform by chain hoists traveling on an overhead track system. Electrical power furnished by an internal power plant and by commercial power. The whole facility was covered with earth except for the gun ports and the battery entrances. Additional foliage and camouflage netting provided further cover.
Emplacement #1 gun was transferred from Watervliet Arsenal on 8 Oct 1942 and the carriage was transferred from Watertown Arsenal on 18 Feb 1943. Emplacement #2 gun was transferred from Watervliet Arsenal on 16 Oct 1942 and the carriage was transferred from Watertown Arsenal on 29 Dec 1942.
Battery 113 was placed on inactive status on 7 Feb 1947 and the guns were salvaged later in 1948.
No period guns or mounts in place. Entrances covered.