Womack's Fort (1774-1785) - A settler Fort established before 1774 near Bluff City, Sullivan County, Tennessee. Named Womack's Fort after Captain Jacob Womack, who served in colonial wars and the Revolutionary War. Abandoned in 1785.
History of Womack's Fort
Established before 1774 and located northeast of present day Bluff City, on a hill about two miles east on Island Park Road in Sullivan County, Tennessee.
In 1776 this fort was in Fincastle County, Virginia. A muster roll from Fincastle County identifies the members of Captain Womack's company enlisted to protect against the Cherokees.
The fort was abandoned in 1785 when Jacob Womack moved further west.
Visited: 24 May 2016