Whitehall Battery

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Whitehall Battery (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established in 1776 in New York City, New York County, New York. Captured by the British in 1776 and held by them until 1783. Returned to Patriot control in 1783 with the British evacuation of New York City. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.

History of Whitehall Battery

A Revolutionary War fortification established in 1776 as a two gun battery in New York City, New York County, New York. Located behind (to the south of) General George Washington's Headquarters at #1 Broadway. Captured by the British in 1776 and held by them until the British evacuation of New York City. Repaired and improved by the British in 1782.

Returned to Patriot control on 25 Nov 1783 with the British evacuation of New York City. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.

Current Status

No remains. Said to have been located east of the Grand Battery and adjacent to it in what had been Whitehall Dock (now South Ferry), behind Washington's Headquarters at #1 Broadway.


Location: Battery Park, New York City, New York County, New York. Map point is approximate and may not be accurate.

Maps & Images

Lat: 40.70235 Long: -74.01338

See Also:

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 604.
  • Lossing, Benson J., Pictorial Field-Book of the Revolution Vol. II, New York, Harper and Brothers, 1859, Internet Archive, page 593.

Links:

Visited: No


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Toolbox