Whitefish Lake Post
Whitefish Lake Post (1824-1896) - A Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post established along Whitefish Lake in 1824 near the portage between Whitefish Lake and Wakami Lake. Moved in 1887 to a spot near present day Naughton, Ontario, Canada. Named Whitefish Lake Post after the location. Abandoned in 1896.
History of Whitefish Lake Post
A Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post established in 1824 near the portage between Whitefish Lake and Wakami Lake. The strategic location of this key post in the Sudbury District discouraged independent traders from trading in the area.
The building of the Canadian Pacific Raiload removed the need for the portage route and rendered the site obsolete. The building was dismantled in 1887 and moved to a spot closer to the Canadian Pacific Railway near present day Naughton, Ontario.
With the assent of the lumber and mining industries, the decline of the fur trade and the increased number of settlers, the post became more of a country store. The Whitefish Lake Post was closed and was abandoned in 1896.
Highway marker along Route 55 and reportedly some remains in the woods behind the markers.
Visited: 29 Jun 2016