Water Battery - West Point
History of Water Battery - West Point
Part of Fortress West Point.
Established in 1778 south of Gee's Point to cover the southern approach and the south dock. Built about half the size of Chain Battery with two embrasures and epaulments on the ends. The battery was located on a steep slope about half way between the plain and the river at an elevation of about 85 feet. Because of height of the battery it could only provide plunging fire on much of the river below. The Great Chain itself was hidden from the Water Battery by Gee's point.
The 1779 ordnance report listed one 12-pounder cannon at Green Battery. No cannon were listed here in the 1780 report.
Abandoned in 1783 at the end of the war..
Some remains and a stone marker along Flirtation Walk on the United States Military Academy at West Point, Orange County, New York. On active Military installation and access may be restricted.
Visited: 31 May 2013