Upper Fort (1)
Upper Fort (1) (1777-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1777 near Fultonham, Schoharie County, New York. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783.
History of Upper Fort
Established in 1777 to block one of the principle Indian trails into the Schoharie Valley. The fort was a strong defense built with picketts on one side and earthworks on the other three sides, all enclosing the house and barn of Johannes Feeck. Blockhouses were placed on opposing corners armed with small cannons. Inside the compound were huts for settlers and barracks for the garrison. Located on the west side of Schoharie Creek near present day Fultonham. The upper fort was the strongest of the three local forts (Upper Fort, Middle Fort, Lower Fort) and was never attacked.
Upper Fort reportedly sounded the alarm on 17 Oct 1780 of the invasion of Sir John Johnson and the Indian leader Joseph Brant. The Lower Fort and the Middle Fort were attacked by the British and Indians but the Upper Fort was not attacked. The valley was ravaged by the British and their hostile Indian allies, crops were burned and settlers outside the forts were killed.
Abandoned as a fortification at the end of the war in 1783.
Two markers, one roadside marker and one stone DAR marker set back from the road. The markers conflict as to the location of the actual fort and one or both may have been moved.
Visited: 16 Jun 2016