Turtle Bay Depot
Turtle Bay Depot (Unknown-1783) - A pre Revolutionary War fortified depot established in New York City, New York County, New York. Named Turtle Bay Depot after the cove at Turtle Bay. Patriot forces added the Turtle Bay Redoubt nearby. Captured by the British in 1776 and held by them until 1783. Returned to Patriot control in 1783 with the British evacuation of New York City. Abandoned as a depot and fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of Turtle Bay Depot
A pre Revolutionary War fortified depot established at Turtle Bay Cove in New York City. Captured by the Patriots at the beginning of the Revolutionary War in July 1775 and damaged by them after they removed the military stores. The stores seized in the raid were sent to support Patriot advances against the British in Boston and to Patriot forces at Fort Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain preparing to invade Canada.
On the night of 20 Jul 1775 the Loyalist storehouse and magazine at Turtle Bay were captured by Patriots in a bold raid. The raid was executed by the Liberty Boys, led by Marinus Wilett, John Lamb, Isaac Sears, and Alexander McDougall, all Sons of Liberty activists. The Patriots also seized a ship's tender, with stores, belonging to the Ship Asia, and took possession of provisions and clothing deposited at the town of Greenwich by the Loyalist government. The Asia later shelled Fort George and the Grand Battery in lower Manhattan as the Revolution started to take hold in New York City.
As the Patriots assumed control over New York City they built a small redoubt at Turtle Bay, between 44th Street and 46th Street, known simply as Turtle Bay Redoubt.
The British invasion of New York City in the fall of 1776 and the subsequent seven year occupation of the city had the depot site and the redoubt under British control. The site was returned to Patriot control on 25 Nov 1783 when the British evacuated New York City.
The old stone storehouse building was reported by Lossing to be still standing circa 1858.
No remains. The depot was said to have been located at the foot of East 47th Street on the East River while the redoubt was located between 44th Street and 46th Street also on the river. Both these sites have been overbuilt by the United Nations Complex on the East River.