Thicketty Fort (1776-1780) - A loyalist Revolutionary War Fort first established in 1776 in Thicketty, Cherokee County, South Carolina. Named Fort Thicketty after the location. Abandoned in 1780. Also known as Fort Anderson.
History of Fort Thicketty
Established at the beginning of the Revolutionary War as a defense against hostile Cherokee attacks. Became a strong loyalist fortification at the headwaters of the Pacolet River.
Before the Battle of King's Mountain the fort was approached on 29 Jul 1780 by 600 men under the command of Colonel Isaac Shelby. The loyalist garrison under Captain Patrick Moore surrendered the next day to this show of force without firing a shot.