The Alamo (1835-1876) - Established as a Catholic Mission, Mission San Antonio de Valero, in 1718 and served as a post for various Spanish, Mexican, Texian and U.S. forces until 1876. Also known as Camp Almus and Post at San Antonio.
The Alamo History
The Alamo was occupied by a series of Spanish and Mexican forces until Dec 1835 when it was surrendered to the Republic of Texas during the Texas Revolution. Lt. Col. William B. Travis occupied the Alamo on 23 Feb 1836 with 187 men under his command. Travis and his company were besieged by a superior force under the command of General Antonio López de Santa Anna. After a 13 day siege all of the Texians were killed.
The fort fell into disuse until the U.S. Government laid claim to it after Texas became a state in 1845. A supply depot was established at The Alamo in 1845 and became known as the Post at San Antonio between 1866 and 1875. In 1875 a new facility was constructed and the Post at San Antonio was moved there. The Post at San Antonio was renamed Fort Sam Houston in 1890.
The Alamo is currently in the custody of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, who maintain the buildings and welcome visitors under a resolution of the Texas Legislature passed in 1905. It was designated a National Historic Landmark on 19 Dec 1960.
Visited: 10 Oct 2007
The Alamo Picture Gallery