Fort Baker (2)
Fort Baker (2) (1855-1858, 1862-1867) - A Mormon settler fort established in 1855 by William Bringhurst in present-day Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada. The Mormons abandoned the area and the fort in 1858. California Volunteer Union troops occupied the post during the U.S. Civil War and renamed it Fort Baker after Colonel Edward D. Baker, 71st Pennsylvania Infantry, who was killed on 21 Oct 1861 at the battle of Ball's Bluff. The post was abandoned as a fortification in 1867. Also known as Mormon Fort, Las Vegas Fort, Stockade at Las Vegas and Detachment at Las Vegas.
The original fort was built near a spring-fed creek that was an important source of water in the area. The Mormon settlers built an adobe compound 150 feet on a side with bastions at the southeast and northwest corners. One side of the compound contained two-story houses. The compound walls were made of adobe and measured 14' high with 2' wide bases tapering to 1' wide at the top.
The Mormon settlers were withdrawn back to Salt Lake City in 1857-1858. The abandoned post was then used as a stage stop.
Fort Baker was established in 1862 during the U.S. Civil War by four companies of California Volunteer Union troops who occupied the old Mormon fort. The post was abandoned by the California troops as a fortification at the end of U.S. Civil War
An original Adobe building remains in a partially reconstructed compound. Old Las Vegas Mormon State Historic Park in Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada.
Visited: 31 Jan 2013