South Redoubt - Garrison
South Redoubt - Garrison (1779-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Redoubt established in 1779 in present day Putnam County, New York. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1783.
South Redoubt - Garrison History
Part of Fortress West Point.
One of two redoubts and associated gun batteries built as a part of the final expansion of Fortress West Point in 1779. Construction underway by July 1779 included the Redoubt and three associated gun batteries. Raised parapets protected the inside from higher ground to the east.
Mounted one 12 pounder and four 6 pounders. Required a complement of 160 men.
Some remains and at least one marker. Both the North and South Redoubts accessible by marked public trail from parking lot on Snake Hill Road. Both North and South Redoubts shown on map. Roadside marker on Cat Rock Road.