Sault Ste. Marie Trading Post
Sault Ste. Marie Trading Post (1797-1864) - A British colonial fortified fur trading post established in 1797 by the North West Company in present day Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada. The Hudson's Bay Company assumed control of the post after 1821 when the companies merged. Abandoned circa 1864.
Sault Ste. Marie Trading Post History
Initially established in 1797 by the North West Company on the Canadian side of the St. Mary River rapids as a fortified fur trading post and depot complex. The company completed the first canal and lock circa 1799. A blockhouse and large storehouses and wharfs were built at both ends of the 2,580' canal along with a portage road between the two ends.
In 1821 the North West Company merged into the Hudson's Bay Company and the Hudson's Bay Company took over operation of the post. The Hudson's Bay Company records mostly indicate their management of the post began about 1824 and ceased about 1864.
Marker only on the canal site in Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma District, Ontario, Canada. The only remaining structure from the original complex is the stone base of the Clergue Blockhouse which was originally the powder magazine. That structure was moved from the original site and is now part of the Ermatinger-Clergue National Historic Site at 831 Queen Street East.
Visited: 28 Aug 2013