|Royal Battery (1691-1759) - The Royal Battery was a French coastal gun battery established in 1691 by Louis de Buade de Frontenac in present day Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Named for French King Louis IVX. Destroyed during the British attack in 1759.
Royal Battery History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Quebec.
Originally built by Frontenac in 1691 after the British attack in 1690 during King William's War. The battery was located in the lower town at the river edge and armed with 10 cannons. It was used during General Wolfe's attack on the city in 1759 but was destroyed in the bombardment. With the end of the French & Indian War the battery was no longer necessary and it was overbuilt with waterfront buildings.
Restored battery with mounted cannons.
Visited: 17 Jul 2013