|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Rome Arsenal (1813-1873) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1813 during the War of 1812 in present day Rome, Oneida County, New York. Abandoned in 1873.
Rome Arsenal History
Built as a three-acre fortification in 1813 during the War of 1812 that included barracks, arsenal building, a magazine, workshops, and other support buildings. The site is currently bounded by West Dominick St., Arsenal St., Erie Blvd. W. and Arsenal Square Street. At the time Erie Blvd. was the Erie Canal. Additional support structures were located north of West Dominick Street. Site Plan.
Abandoned in 1873.
A marker and restored commandant's quarters in Rome, Oneida County, New York. Other buildings may also be from the arsenal period but are now commercial property.
Location: 514 West Dominick Street, Rome, Oneida County, New York.
Maps & Images
Lat: 43.215556 Long: -75.467778
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 575
- North American Forts - Rome Arsenal
- New York State Military Museum - Rome Arsenal
- Wikipedia - Rome Arsenal
Rome Arsenal Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!