Rock Fort (1865-18??) - First established in 1865 by Mormon settlers in Rockport, Summit County, Utah. Abandoned in unknown.
Rock Fort History
In 1865 the Mormon settlers of Rockport were directed to relocate to the nearby town of Wanship when Indian hostilities threatened. Instead, they built a stone fort with walls eight foot tall and two feet thick and remained in Rockport. It is unclear when the fort was no longer used for defensive purposes.
The town of Rockport was destroyed and submerged when the Rockport Reservoir was completely flooded in 1957 and presumably the remains of the fort were submerged at the same time.
Part of Rockport State Park, Summit County, Utah. Remains of the fort are presumed to be submerged in the Rockport Reservoir.
Visited: 15 Sep 2011