Redoubt 5 - Constitution Island
Redoubt 5 - Constitution Island (1778-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Redoubt established in 1779 on the present day military reservation of the United States Military Academy on Constitution Island in Putnam County, New York. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1783.
Redoubt 5 - Constitution Island History
Part of Fortress West Point.
Located behind Greatons Battery and oriented toward the west to protect against attack from the marsh. Mutual support for Redoubt 6. Construction began in the fall of 1778. May have had a blockhouse and palisades on the parapet. May have mounted two 12 pounders, two 6 pounders, four 3 or 4 pounders. Required 160 men for defense who would have lived in huts outside the redoubt. Banquettes for infantrymen.
Stabilized remains on the military reservation of the United States Military Academy, Putnam County, New York. On active Military installation and access may be restricted.