Redmond Army Airfield
Redmond Army Airfield (1942-1945) - A World War II U.S. Army Air Field established in 1942 near Redmond, Deschutes County, Oregon. First named Redmond Army Airfield after the location. It closed as a military airfield after the end of WWII in 1945. Now Redmond Municipal Airport.
In 1942, the city of Redmond leased Roberts Field to the government to construct a bomber training facility to be known as Redmond Army Airfield. The Airfield was made up of a cantonment area, the airfield and flight line, a motor pool, and a munitions storage area,
The Cantonment area held some 50 buildings including officer housing, enlisted barracks, mess halls, officer and NCO clubs, admin buildings, and other support buildings.
The airfield and the flight line included two 7,000-foot runways with ancillary taxiways connecting the flight line and the runways. The flight line had two standard OBH-2, 120' x 80' hangers, a flight operations building, and the air traffic control tower.
The motor pool was located along the western border of the airfield and the ordnance storage area was adjacent to the westernmost taxiway.
In 1946, the airport was sold back to the city of Redmond for $1.
Now Redmond Municipal Airport.
Visited: 11 May 2022