Quebec Martello Tower 2
|Quebec Martello Tower 2 (1808-1871) - A British colonial Martello Tower established by Ralph Bruyeres in 1808 on the Plains of Abraham in present day Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Abandoned in 1871 as the British military left Canada.
Quebec Martello Tower 2 History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Quebec.
Construction began in the summer of 1808 on four Martello towers to guard the westward land approaches to Fortress Quebec. The four towers were designed as an interlocking advanced defense system that could be destroyed from the fort if overrun.
The towers were completed by the start of the War of 1812 but they never were attacked. The towers were abandoned for military purposes when British troops departed Canada in 1871 but were used for other purposes after that.
Tower 2 was slated to have a redoubt constructed in front of it and the construction was started on 11 May 1809 but never completed.
Part of Plains of Abraham National Battlefield Park, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. The restored tower is standing but not open to the public. The never completed redoubt footprint is outlined by a walking path.
Visited: 18 Jul 2013