Presidio of San Bernardino
Presidio of San Bernardino (1776-1780) - A Spanish presidio established in 1776 by established in 1776 by Irish mercenary, Hugh O'Conor in present day Cochise County, Arizona. Abandoned in 1780. Also known as Presidio de San Bernardino de Terrenate, Fort San Bernardino and Camp San Berdardino Springs.
Presidio of San Bernardino History
A Spanish Presidio established in 1776 by Irish mercenary, Hugh O'Conor, as part of a network of presidios and missions in present day southern Arizona. These presidios were under constant attack from hostile Apache Indians and were unable to adequately protect themselves much less build and protect any surrounding missions. The southern Arizona presidios included:
The post was abandoned by 1780.
East of Douglas in Cochise County, Arizona