Presidio of Albuquerque

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Presidio of Albuquerque (1706-1846) - A Spanish town and Presidio established in 1706 by Spanish New Mexico Governor Francisco Cuervo y Valdes in present day Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico. Named after the Spanish Viceroy Don Francisco Fernandez de la Queva Enriquez, Duke of Albuquerque. Transitioned from the Spanish government to the Mexican government in 1821. The Presidio was captured by U.S. forces in 1846 and parts incorporated into the new Post at Albuquerque.

San Felipe de Neri Catholic Church est 1706
Historical Marker in Albuquerque Plaza
Albuquerque Plaza

The Spanish Period (1706-1821)

A Spanish town and Presidio established in 1706 by Spanish New Mexico Governor Francisco Cuervo y Valdes.

The Mexican Period (1822-1846)

The Presidio transitioned from the Spanish government to the Mexican government circa 1821 after the Mexican War of Independence.

The American Period (1846-Present)

The Mexican War was declared by the U.S. Congress on 11 May 1846 in response to a Mexican attack on U.S. troops in Texas. The declaration of war opened the door for American occupation of New Mexico. The American period began when American forces under General Stephen Watts Kearny occupied New Mexico in 1846.

Current Status

No remains, markers in Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico. The San Felipe de Neri Church from that period sits on the north side of the central Plaza.


Location: Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico.

Maps & Images

Lat: 35.0965633 Long: -106.669918

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 25 Mar 2013


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox