Post Columbus (1863-1866) - A U.S. Civil War era settlers Fort established in 1863 in the center of Columbus, Platte County, Nebraska. Named Post Columbus after the location. Abandoned after 1866. Also known as Post at Columbus (2).
This post was a large stockade originally erected by settlers as an Indian defense in the center of Columbus, Platte County, Nebraska. Occupied by troops of the 7th Iowa Cavalry in 1864. In 1865 a detachment of "Galvanized Yankees" was stationed here to safeguard the bridge over the Loup River from hostile Indians.
No remains or markers in Buffalo Square, Columbus, Nebraska.
Visited: 27 Jul 2020